Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Dining room completed.... $75 farm house table - shut the front door!

It has been almost a year since I completed my dining room table.  Geesh how time flies.
I used a modified version of the Farm House table combined with the Narrow Farmhouse table I already built (see project here). I also took ugly $10 craigslist parson style chairs and modified them to be stools.... 
This table is roughly 7'x3' but it looks so tiny in this photo.


So, here it goes.  I found old barn wood on Craigslist.  The dude brought me a huge stack of the 10' boards , all varying widths for a mere $40 (including the delivery) OUTSTANDING!
 The trouble with Craigslist bargains for me, is there is always that BUT.  The barn wood was not immune to the BUT.  I had to purchase a belt sander because of the really rough texture of the wood.  Which I undoubtedly burned up. I exchanged it for a beefer, more expensive version & spent far too long sanding away until my planks were baby butt smooth.


 I also tried to make a wood wash concoction by rusting steel wool in vinegar.  Much to my dismay, I purchased non-rusting steel wool (who knew there was such a thing?). I threw some nails into the punch and got a rusted solution in the end, however it was a red rust as opposed to the grey rust I was going for.  Nonetheless, the plain cheapo pine boards used for the table legs, received a splash of the rust solution before any further steps were taken.


 I kept the boards uneven on purpose.  The real antique harvest table I have has unmatched boards.  Usually when I see an antique farm table in antique stores the top boards are not perfect either.  I thought it gave it a very authentic look. 
 I decided that the wood was too warm and new looking. I decided to experiment.  I diluted a little black paint with water & did a wash.... WAAAAHLA what a difference.  I think it turned out great, exactly the worn/gray wood look I was going for. 

before the top boards were attached

What do you think? 

3 comments:

  1. I looooooove your dining room!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!I have a table just like this that I got second hand for $500 & by far it is my favorite piece of furniture. Good job. RR

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this table. What size is the table and did you put any poly on it?

    ReplyDelete

Labels